In 1923 Great States Coporation was chartered in Richmond, Indiana. The company was formed to manufacture autombile accessories.
In 1925, Great States began producing hand mowers. Business was so good that the company discontinued manufacturing automobile parts. Without gasoline or electric -powered engines, pre-World War II America used only reel mowers to cut lawns.
In 1932, Great States moved to Shelbyville, Indiana, into the Conrey-Davis Furniture Company plant on Webster Street, where it is still located.